Chuck Pryor, Alison Pensy, Ellen Conrad, Amy Siler, Tony Coons, Becky Callaghan, Elva Clark, Leslie Mooney, Ann Black, Anthony Gardocki
President Chuck Pryor called the meeting to order. The November 26, 2018 minutes were approved on a motion by Alison Pensy which was seconded by Ann Black. MC The treasurer’s report was reviewed. Tony Coons made a motion to accept and Ann Black seconded. MC
Election of Officers
Chuck Pryor and Ellen Conrad were elected for three-year terms to the President and Secretary offices, respectively. Alison Pensy made the motion to approve; seconded by Tony Coons. MC Jaime Wright and Ann Black will continue in their Advisory roles for two-year terms. Motion by Amy Siler; seconded by Tony Coons. MC
Teresa Keller of the Missouri Community Betterment was unable to attend. Her presentation will be rescheduled for a later date.
The 3MT group will be in the area July 13-20, 2019. The committee plans
to have four quarterly events/projects. Amy and Jacquie have plans to
approach businesses for fund raising. Home Depot is a potential source
for supplies. Ann Black can assist.
Next meeting: February 11 (2 nd Monday) @ 7:00 – First Christian Church
- Tony shared the tentative dates for Movies in the Park:
- June 14 to coincide with the Library Reading Program. The theme is “space” and attendees will be encouraged to dress in costume.
- July 12: Princess Bridge
- August 9: Fern Gully
- September 14: Saturday Night at the Museum
- October 26: at Trunk or Treat, show classic horror movies and a costume contest
- Tony indicates that funding will be needed for projection equipment that is at the end of its useful life. He has identified some sources for grants.
- The committee is also coordinating with Kidwell-Garber on the Easter egg hunt. Tony is exploring community centers to see what is being done, for example in Warsaw and the YMCA in Osage.
- Another event idea is a “color run” where participants are doused in different colored powder.
- Chuck encourage the group to work with Jason Vansell’s history group for some activity ideas.
- Next meeting: February 28 (last Thursday) @ 6:00 – Wright Printing
Becky Callaghan provided the update. Note the new name to reflect the
broader focus. The group met with Joe Pieber to conduct their strategic
planning. The emphasis will be on arts/culture, front door/back door
clean-up and music on the square. Becky learned about a grant that is
open through February 28 related to reuse, reduce and compost. Ann
Black is on the Board for Region F and can provide input on process.
Next meeting: February 11 (2 nd Monday) @ 6:00 – Square Deals
The fund raising group met on 1/7 and is planning for the Fish Fry on
March 2 from 5:00-7:00 at the Assembly of God; $12 adult; $6 kids. Elva
provided ticket bundles to sell and flyers to post. Funds of $1,000 will be
needed to support the event. Assistance is needed for set up and tear
down. Desserts of cakes, pies and cupcakes are welcome. Contact Elva to
Next meeting: February 4 @ 1:00 – Square Deals
- Ellen will meet with Jaime to discuss communication strategy.
- Contributions to matching funds portion of TAP grant
- Chuck provided an overview of the $348,000 grant that Tara Grantham was able to secure to fund three street crossings (the school, Clay and Westview). The required match is $87,000 of which 50% is being funded by the city and 50% is being secured by the Granthams; most has been offset by donations. Chuck proposed contributing funds to the effort as it is definitely a community betterment project. Alison moved that VCB contribute $2,000 from the general revenue fund. Elva Clark seconded. MC
- Trash Cans
- A new business has approached the city to provide a trash can in their location (new coffee shop). The city could use 4-6 more and place them around the square and downtown.
- Missouri Main Street Connection
- Chuck indicated that VCB is a member for $150/year. The Board does not plan to renew but will forward information to Becky Callaghan for Commercial Beautification.
- Chamber of Commerce Membership
- Membership renewal is due; Motion by Tony to renew, Ann seconded. MC
- The Chamber of Commerce Gala is February 9 at The Legacy; 5:30 social; 6:00 meal and program.
- In April, the city will have an issue on the ballot to broaden the usage of storm water funds to include sidewalks, curbs, etc. This will provide more flexibility in infrastructure investment and will not raise taxes.
- Next VCB Board Meeting: Monday, March 25th @ 6:00PM at City Hall
- Motion: Elva Clark
- 2nd: Alison Pensy
- Approved by all